Patent Office Litigation
Since the implementation of the America Invents Act of 2011, the IP arena has been in a state of flux. In this environment, our Patent Office Litigation team has emerged as a dominant force, having represented both petitioners and patent owners, in a wide range of the USPTO's technology centers – biotech and chemical, electrical, and mechanical.
Why Sterne Kessler?
- We filed four of the first ten inter partes reviews at the USPTO.
- Whether representing petitioners or patent owners, Sterne Kessler gets results at the Final Written Decision. 87% of Sterne Kessler's client instituted claims received a positive outcome in the Board's Final Written Decision.
- We lead the pack in institution success. When representing petitioners, Sterne Kessler obtains institution for 76% of challenged claims, significantly higher than the average of 65%.
- When representing patent owners, Sterne Kessler has trial denied for 48% of challenged claims, well above the average of 35%.
- Sterne Kessler is second in terms of the number of representations, with involvement in nearly 300 post-grant challenges.
- Sterne Kessler has handled 400+ reexams on behalf of both patent owners and third party requesters. Also retained as special reexamination counsel or reexamination expert in many others.
Sterne Kessler is experienced in all proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, including: